The United Way is a driving force of change in Livingston County. We help bring together nonprofits, governmental agencies, churches and other organizations to address the most pressing needs in our community. We focus our efforts in three areas.
- FINANCIAL STABILITY – Empowering families with resources that allow them to support themselves.
- EVERY CHILD READY – Assuring that all children have access to good education, food, fitness and overall health.
- COMMUNITY WELLNESS – Energizing all residents, young and old, to be healthy, secure and active in their community.
Seeing that innovation results from organizations working together, Livingston County United Way’s 2016-17 community investments commit 58% of total funds to collective impact coalitions and initiatives. By contrast, in 2010 that amount was 27%. In addition to the United Way’s community connection initiatives of 2-1-1 (the 24-hour helpline), Volunteer Livingston (database of volunteer opportunities) and Day of Caring (annual community service event), the coalitions working toward sustainable community impact are:
- Homeless Continuum of Care Committee,
- Utility Assistance Task Force,
- Livingston County Hunger Council,
- Great Start Livingston, and
- Livingston Promise
Prioritizing Our Energies
Based on census data and specialized research, we’ve identified a pocket of need in our community that often falls below the radar. Described as “ALICE” (Asset-Limited, Income-Constrained, Employed), these neighbors are often earning too much to qualify for government assistance, but not enough to thrive in today’s high-cost economy.
Volunteer panelists thoroughly review requests annually for funds and recommend the programs that
provide the highest return on investment for your donated dollars.
Great Things Happen When We LIVE UNITED
Every year we turn to the community, individuals, employers and companies, and ask for their investment in these programs by giving to the Livingston County United Way campaign. It is only through the donations of our generous supporters that we have been able to move the needle on so many fronts. Learn more.