Our Value Statement: “Inspired by the passion, expertise, and generosity of the Livingston County community, we bring together diverse individuals and organizations to ensure that our children are ready for all that life has to offer; our families are economically stable, with the supports they need to thrive; and all residents are afforded the opportunities to live their healthiest lives. Together, we are meeting challenges head on and building a vibrant community.”
The Livingston County United Way was officially incorporated as a United Way on February 4, 1977. Prior to that time, beginning in the early 1950s, each of the county‘s six communities had its own Community Chest all doing their own individual fundraising, administration and allocation processes. As the county’s population grew, it was determined that a county-wide structure would better serve local residents’ needs.
Today, the Livingston County United Way is recognized as a convener and collaborating partner with many non-profit, for-profit, governmental and faith-based organizations – all working to address the most critical needs of Livingston County residents.
Our Board of Directors, volunteers, and staff work within the parameters of an established strategic plan and look for opportunities to improve all areas of our operations. Our Community Investments are subject to outcomes-based measurement, ongoing evaluation of results, and periodic financial review.
• Annual certified financial audits of the LCUW are prepared by an independent certified public accounting firm that specializes in non-profit organizations. Audits comply with generally accepted auditing standards and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
• The Board of Directors has successfully completed the annual United Way Worldwide Standards of Excellence membership criteria.
• The LCUW Finance Committee provides financial statement review, and investment counsel as well as oversight of partner agency quarterly financial statements.
• Monthly and year-to-date statements of financial condition are reviewed and approved by the Board of Directors at their monthly meetings.
• The Board of Directors is comprised of 21 prominent local individuals with diverse backgrounds.
• The Board Treasurer is a Michigan Registered C.P.A.
• LCUW is bonded against financial embezzlement and theft by Hanover Insurance Company.